Open ROADS Community is the incubator for Digital Transformation
ROADS stands for Real-time, On-demand, All-online, Do-It-Yourself, and Social.
The Open ROADS Community is a forum dedicated to accelerating digital business transformation. The Community's core constituents are digital service providers, joined by digital industry participants and all firms which grow their businesses from an internet-based ecosystem.
The Community achieves its goal by serving as a cross-industry incubator for identifying new digital business models and revenue opportunities, including creating, sharing and implementing best practices for addressing those opportunities.
The ROADS acronym stands for five tenets which define the deep levels of personalization and quick service delivery expected by digital consumers today.
Holistic Approach to Digital Transformation
Delivering the ROADS experience requires the Telco industry to adopt a holistic approach; both operations and infrastructure need to be transformed.
ROADS is a Huawei initiative that promises to enhance the five fundamental characteristics of the ultimate user experience – Real-time, On-demand, All-online, Do-It-Yourself, and Social.
Telco industry will encounter many challenges which no single player can solve in isolation. To successfully address the challenges, we must be “open” in many senses of the word
Open is an imperative
- The ROADS experience has global resonance and is applicable across several industries. We must be open to learning from and collaborating with other industry verticals to create and improve services and provide a better customer experience.
- At our first Open ROADS Advisory Board Meeting in Singapore we heard from transport booking app Grab. While most companies use the GPS data in their system to predict supply and demand, Grab took it one step further and provided the data for free to the World Bank-backed OpenTraffic -- a non-profit initiative set up to improve traffic conditions in one of the most notoriously congested cities in the region - Manila.
- Many opportunities to create value will be possible by putting the systems in place to enable an ecosystem. Experience tells us that opening up your capabilities to partners via APIs can potentially create many innovative and valuable new services, well beyond what Telco can develop in isolation.
- We only need look at the iOS and Android developed communities to see how building ecosystem can fuel innovation. By providing a platform and sharing their APIs to app developers, these two tech giants have provided a system that developers and brands can exploit, and which through network effects has further entrenched the market share of these two mobile operating systems.
- In the course of executing our initiatives we should be open to sharing the process and results with other industry bodies, and similarly we should be open to exploring and re-using as appropriate the output of these same bodies.
- A key driver in forming the Open ROADS community was realizing that none of the existing industry bodies in isolation are developing the holistic approach required to successfully enable ICT transformation. To address this, instead of operating independently, we must communicate and collaborate with industry associations such as GSMA , TM Forum and The Open Group.
- To support the aim of the Open ROADS community to deliver reference implementations Huawei is committed to supporting the Open ROADS initiatives with the resources necessary for R&D, and will make available our cloud open labs facilities to community members. In this spirit, we also hope that service providers will open up their production environments to help further validate proposed implementations.
- This openness is also an invaluable learning opportunity for industry talent -- the people behind this ICT transformation will play a crucial role in making our vision a reality.
Learn more about the Open ROADS Community
To become the incubator for digital transformation, linking the ICT ecosystem to all other digitally-minded businesses.
To bring together leading thinkers and business leaders to overcome the challenges of digital disruption and transformation by developing practical tools for its members to adopt.
To work with other industry standards bodies and promotion organizations to select and refine the best practices that can be utilized across the ecosystem.
- To foster an open, cross industry ecosystem that encourages collaboration
- To develop analytics tools and business models that benefits the entire digital ecosystem
- To ensure outcomes are business oriented
Unparalleled networking opportunities with leading service providers and potential business partners from around the world
Regular updates on industry trends and case studies from leading experts and analysts.
Access to training and consultancy services
Access to complimentary seminars and working groups with industry thought leaders